Monday, July 6, 2009

Writing for Writing's Sake

Today I was thinking about the reasons I write. In no particular order, they are:

1. When I hear a cool name, or even better, when someone says something amazing and original, my first thought is "Ooooh, I have to steal that for my novel!"
2. When I am in the car for long hours, characters invade my head, and I need to get them out without spending a fortune on psychiatric help.
3. I crave those moments when I am "in the zone" and my characters do and say things that are both unexpected and wonderful. (Okay, this doesn't happen too often, but its like hitting a great golf shot- it's just enough to keep me coming back to the computer).
4. Anything can happen. Anything.
5. I am so much cooler when I have days to think of a response instead of seconds. (But no less prone to sticking my foot in my mouth).

Writing is such a personal experience, that I'm sure there are as many reasons as there are writers. Publication is usually a goal, but not always. Sometimes writing is just for writing's sake.

Oh who am I kidding?

Like the actor who toils in a local dinner theater troupe (which, um, I might know something about), I love the craft. I do. But I long for fame and fortune. Not necessarily in that order.

No comments:

Post a Comment